Buffett, Gates, & the future of linguistic diversity

Charles RIley charles.riley at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 16 17:35:15 UTC 2006

Greets to all;

Hi from a cybercafe in Bamenda, Cameroon!  Don, you raise some great
points and
it does seem like there's a useful role for Gates et al. to play.  The message
I sent earlier was mostly meant to be facetious, maybe a little out of
frustration and/or mischief though too.  I'd still have concerns about
individual language initiatives perhaps becoming micromanaged, or linguistic
diversity itself becoming stifled in the efforts to preserve it, but overall I
don't see a problem with the project you've proposed.  Especially points 3 and
6, and when it comes to infrastructure of any kind -- network, hardware, and
linguistic necessities such as dictionaries, dialectologies, etc.

Charles