Western Carolina University joins Cherokee language partnership (fwd)

Wed Jul 9 19:09:02 UTC 2008

Western Carolina University joins Cherokee language partnership

by: Staff Reports / Indian Country Today

CHEROKEE, N.C. - On June 5, Chancellor John Bardo committed Western Carolina
University to joining a community-university partnership focused on
revitalizing the Cherokee language.

''Language does more than allow us to communicate with each other. Language is
how we conceptualize the world,'' said Bardo, a sociologist by training. ''I'm
very excited that Western is a part of keeping alive what it means to be
Cherokee.''

The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, the Cherokee Nation and Northeastern State
University, in Tahlequah, Okla., are Western's partners in the effort. Bardo
formally committed Western to the partnership by adding his signature to a
memorandum of agreement among all parties. Eastern Band Principal Chief Michell
Hicks accompanied Bardo during the signing, which took place during the fourth
annual Language Revitalization Symposium in Cherokee, an event that Western
helped plan and sponsor.

Access full article below:
http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096417684