colors, numbers, and animals

Troike, Rudolph C - (rtroike) rtroike at email.arizona.edu
Thu Aug 7 17:58:39 UTC 2014

Re Bernadette's suggestion, which I heartily endorse: the usual
Eurocentric tradition of language teaching (and even the
supposedly 'scientific' research on language acquisition by
Western psychologists) assumes that the "names of objects"
are universally learned first, since they are "most salient in
the observable context", but this supposed "universal" is shown
to be a false projection from European languages, by the research
of Muriel Saville-Troike and Ellen Courtney on Navajo and Quechua,
respectively -- both verb-centered languages -- in which it was
shown that children learned verb stems first (even though Navajo,
like all Athabaskan languages, is predominantly prefixing and
Quechua, like Aymara, is predominantly suffixing). Young children
are somehow able to sort through the forest of affixes to extract
the verb stem. The Navajo children come to recognize that there
are a large number of prefix positions, even before they are able
to produce appropriate fillers, and just utter an indistinct syllable
for the slot. And of course they learn this all without any overt
direct instruction!

      Rudy

     Rudy Troike
     University of Arizona