Lynx (was Re: Uralic and IE)

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Fri Apr 9 03:33:12 UTC 1999

Robert Whiting <whiting at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

>G & I (ibid.) say:  "The phonetic alternations can be ascribed
>to the fact that this is an animal name; also relevant is the
>nasalization in Greek , _lun-k-_, paralleled by Lith. dial.
>_lu,'ns^is_."  One can also put this together with Armenian
>lusanunk` (pl.), but what the significance of this is someone
>who knows more about Armenian than I do will have to explain.

Not sure.  The sg. is <lusan>, and I guess the sg. oblique stem
must be <lusanan->.  There's one -n- too many (for a simple
n-stem based on *leuk^-, we'd expect *lusn (*leuko:n), *lusan-
(*leukn.-), pl. *lusunk` (*leukones)).  Metathesis leunk ~ leukn?
The Balto-Slavic forms (lu:s^is, rysI), on the other hand,
suggest *luHk^-, with intrusive laryngeal.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam