Scandinavian languages

Steve Gustafson stevegus at aye.net
Sun Apr 18 12:49:47 UTC 1999

Rick McCallister writes:

>Is Gutnish the same as Skanian? I've run into people from southern
>Sweden who claim Skanian as their native language. I've also run into
>people from Bornholm who claim that a distinctive Scandinavian language is
>spoken there. Are these dialects or transitional languages?

Gutnish is (now) usually considered a Swedish dialect.  It was (is) spoken
on the island of Gvtland, on the east side of Sweden in the Baltic.

Skanian is spoken in the Swedish province of Skene, in the south of Sweden,
the area of Lund and Malmv.  This province was formerly a part of Denmark.
As such, Skanian is generally considered to be transitional with Danish.

---
With wind we blowen; with wind we lassun;
With weopinge we comen; with weopinge we passun.
With steringe we beginnen; with steringe we enden;
With drede we dwellen; with drede we wenden.
                                  ---- Anon, Lambeth Ms. no. 306