Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Inaki Agirre Perez inaki.agirre at si.unirioja.es
Mon Apr 26 10:01:58 UTC 1999

A couple of objections to LT's points:
> Third, Azkue does not claim that the words entered in his dictionary are
> native.  On the contrary, he declares explicitly, in section IX of his
> prologue, that he is entering words of foreign origin which are well
> established in Basque

Azkue remarked the words he thought native with a different typeset in
his dictionary.

> > brrrrra
> This is not even a lexical item, but only a representation of a noise
> used by shepherds to call their sheep.  It's on a par with English
> noises like `brrr', `tsk-tsk' and `psst'.
> > glask
> This is strictly an imitative word, on a par with <dzast!> for a
> gunshot.

I wonder how is it that a language which rejects clusters and plosive
initial words is so kind to produce imitative or expresive words within
these parameters. Not to say the 'm' problem. I would bet that less of
10% of imitative/nursery/expresive words commit the well-established
phonotactics of Pre-Basque. Is this normal? Or Basque got its quite rich
expresiveness just in modern times?

Inaki Agirre
(not a zoologist, but ye an elephant!)