Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Tue Apr 27 14:40:45 UTC 1999

	<Puta> is definitely the most common and stable form
	but <puto> goes back a long ways.
	I don't have access to Corominas, so I can't check it
	but the common explanations of <puta> are that
	1) it's an abbreviation of <prostituta> or
	2) that it's related to <poto> "butt" "piece of ass"

	<Puto> seems to have a different meaning just about everywhere you go.
	In Costa Rica, it refers to either a male who has a lot of women or
to one who visits whorehouses.
	In Mexico it either refers to a male prostitute or is a derogatory
word for gays
	On other places, it can mean "pimp," someone obsessed with
pornography or just an all-purpose word of abuse, etc.

	As an adjective, it means something like "damned"; e.g. "No tengo
puta idea donde deje/ las llaves" or "Voy a botar ese puto televisor que no
sirve"
	This last usage is pretty universal from what I've seen

[snip]