Hittite & Celtic dative in /k/ ?

Gordon Selway gordonselway at gn.apc.org
Wed Aug 4 20:35:43 UTC 1999

I do not have anything to hand to cover the provenance of 'aig', or the
likely date by which the conjugated prepositions arose in Insular Celtic,
but it is worth noting that Rhys and Morris found links not with Hittite
but with (?ur)Berber.

Note also that there is an semantic overlap between 'have' and 'own', and a
dialectal variation between forms based on 'aig' ('at' among other senses)
and 'le' ('with' do.).

I would instinctively doubt a link between the Gadelic and Hittite forms,
if only on the assumption that 'agam/agad/aici/aige/againn/agaibh/acu' (and
orthographic variations) are themselves insular innovations, but that does
not address the source of 'aig', of course.  Dennis King might have
something more specific to add.

Gordon Selway
<gordonselway at gn.apc.org>