indoeuropean/hand

Wed Aug 11 17:52:58 UTC 1999

	When I was in Montreal I heard /kaetr at -vae~-dzIs/ on the radio and
something like /kaet-vay~dzIs/ in the stores
	[ae = sound similar to vowel of American English at]

[snip]

What about the Quebecois? They
>usually speak rather old-fashioned French (to European ears) (I've been
>there twice, but didn't pay attention, probably because  I already had
>enough trouble with 'cent' and 'sans', which sound the same to all but to
>the Quebecois).

[snip]
	What's the scoop on 'cent' and 'sans'. I thought both were /sa~/

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701