Unicode in linguistics [was Re: Ancestor-descendant distance]

R.C. Bakhuizen van den Brink [Rein] dziewon at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 30 16:34:22 UTC 1999

[ moderator changed Subject: heading ]

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Sean Crist wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Dr. John E. McLaughlin wrote:

>> The only problem with Unicode is that it isn't uniformly supported by
>> computer programs.  Any Unicode-based effort would be restricted to the
>> Internet Explorer browser as Netscape Navigator doesn't support it.  You
>> either wish for the future and sacrifice present compatibility, or you make
>> some compromises.

As far as I know all programmes in the MicroSoft Office 2000 packet have
full Unicode support. MS competitors simply cannot ignore Unicode for long.

Macintosh OS 8.5 is supporting Unicode [a bit late, though...]

So what are we waiting for!

Gtx, Rein

p.s.  can we have a discussion on whether we'll need UTF-8 or UCS-2 later on?

[ Moderator's comment:
  This discussion, while interesting, has gone far beyond the bounds of the
  list.  Please move to private e-mail or another forum.
  --rma ]