Greek question

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Tue Feb 2 00:44:43 UTC 1999

Part of the answer must surely be that we cannot
start with an unanalyzed stem nykt-.  Rather
we must start with nyk-t-, next to which there
can be a nyk-H- perhaps.  Or perhaps nyk-t
really nykh-t- from *noghw-t- or the like.
Do we have any reason to assume that the "k"
of nyk-t- comes from a *kw and not a *ghw?

[ Moderator's comment:
  Bartholomae's Law:  If the PIE form contained *-ght- we would expect Sanskrit
  to show -gdh- instead of the attested -kt-.
  --rma ]