Chariots, Bits and Greeks

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 01:59:31 UTC 1999

In a message dated 2/5/99 10:48:43 AM, vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu wrote:

<<I thought that I explicitely said that the yoking systems were
different and that I said nothing about the bridles of Classical
Greece.>>

Yes, indeed.  I read your note too quickly and did misunderstand.  Sorry.

<<And then there is the problem of dating Homer and knowing the
extent of anachronistic descriptions of arms in his work.>>

True.  On the other hand, Homer is often consistent with external evidence
and in other circumstances can offer evidence that has to be taken into
account.  And of course Homer's horses were all yoked.

Regards,
Steve Long