indoeuropean (correction)

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 17:58:46 UTC 1999

In a message dated 7/9/99 6:06:11 PM, I wrote:

<<Finally there is again the Greek 'keiro' (to cut, carve) that would explain
churgeon/surgeon much more adequately than a direct connection to /cheir/.
In Aristophanes The Birds, 'keirulos' describes a barber.

[ Moderator's note:
  These words obviously cannot be related.
  --rma ]>>

Inexcusibly, I suggested here that 'cheirourgia', 'cheirourgio^', etc., might
be directly from 'keiro' (cut) instead of 'cheir'/cheiroo' (hand).   Though
the ultimate connection between those two basic forms (in some way or other)
doesn't seem a bad idea to me, the source of 'cheirougia' in Classic Greek is
clearly 'cheir'.

The earliest appearances of 'cheirourgio^' apparently refer not to medicine
or surgery, but to handicraft and the skills of the artisan.  Plato uses it
in reference to musicians.  The later extension to a skilled surgeon would
only be natural.

Sorry for not going to the books first and I hope I'm correcting this piece
of misinformation here.

Regards,
Steve Long