Origin & Evolution of Languages (was: Sociological Linguistics)

Steven Schaufele fcosw5 at mail.scu.edu.tw
Thu Jun 3 17:39:36 UTC 1999

Dr. John E. McLaughlin wrote:

> But linguists should be very careful in distinguishing between the two
> words "evolve/evolution" and "change".  We don't use the strict
> biological definition of "evolution" and any linguist who tries to do
> so is not going to be taken seriously.  Linguistic "evolution" is that
> part of the history of language between the first human utterances and
> the stabilization of modern human grammar.  It ended before the first
> recorded or reconstructed human languages. "Change" is what goes on now
> and has gone on throughout our recorded linguistic history.
> "Evolution" was the process of increasing complexity.  "Change" shows
> no change in overall complexity, but additions and losses of different
> forms (words, structures, sounds).  Ancient Sumerian is no more or less
> complex in its total grammar (phonology, morphology, syntax) than is
> Modern English. There is a lot of change that has occurred between
> Proto-Indo-European and Modern English, but no evolution.

Really???? Is this how people are using the terminology?????  Strange;
i've been routinely using the word `evolve'/`evolution' to refer to the
process whereby, e.g., Modern English derives from Middle English etc.
Why, just yesterday i was lecturing my sophomores on the centralization
of diphthongs on Martha's Vineyard, and explicitly referring to this as
an example of linguistic `evolution'.  Am i WAY off track here
terminologically?  Maybe it's time somebody (me, since i'm the one doing
it) asked for a show of hands.  How many historical linguists reserve
the lexeme `evolve' for the restricted sense that John allows?  How many
would allow it for the process whereby a recognizably new language
(e.g., Modern English) arises from a pre-existing language (e.g., Middle
English)?  And what about intermediate gradations between these
extremes?

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Schaufele, Ph.D., Asst. Prof. of Linguistics, English Department
Soochow University, Waishuanghsi Campus, Taipei 11102, Taiwan, ROC
(886)(02)2881-9471 ext. 6504     fcosw5 at mail.scu.edu.tw
Fax: (886)(02)2881-7609
http://www.prairienet.org/~fcosws/homepage.html

        ***O syntagmata linguarum liberemini humanarum!***
        ***Nihil vestris privari nisi obicibus potestis!***

[ Moderator's comment:
  I'll start:  I understand John McLaughlin's point, but I tend to use the word
  as Steven Schaufele does, a usage I consider a metaphorical extension of the
  biological sense.
  --rma ]