gandul 'lazy'

Max W Wheeler maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Thu May 13 16:43:49 UTC 1999

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Rick Mc Callister wrote:

> a gandul is a "pigeon pea" and is about half the size of a sweet pea
> I think it's only used as "lazy" in Spanish slang and I seem to remember
> seeing it used that way in literature of the Siglo de Oro --but it's been
> many years since I've read that stuff

<Gandul> doesn't seem to be slang in contemporary European Spanish, nor
does it seem to have the meaning `pigeon pea' there. García de Diego
says it's from Arabic <gandur> `majo' (I haven't got Corominas DCEH
handy).

BTW <gandula> is `deck-chair' in Catalan; a nice metonymy.

Max
Max W. Wheeler <maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1273 678975; fax: +44 (0)1273 671320