Sociological Linguistics

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed May 26 15:03:05 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

Dear Eduard and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Eduard Selleslagh <edsel at glo.be>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 5:14 AM

> I believe that complexity of a language, whatever its definition, is roughly
> constant (except maybe at the beginning of language development, 120.000
> years or so ago)

Pat comments:

This is, of course, the time period during which I believe that ambiguity
was most prevalent.

Eduard coninued:

> [Totally apart from that, and just as a side remark, my favorite theory is
> that language(s) started as isolating (normally monosyllabic), then
> developed words for abstract ideas and words for linking them, and then
> became agglutinatng by attaching 'link words' and other words (e.g. personal
> pronouns) to 'noun/verb/... words', until the affixes fused with them and
> thus resulted in inflection. In the next stage (apart from phonetic changes)
> inflection became increasingly complex and finally desintegrated to be
> replaced by syntax, effectively resulting in an isolating language again
> (cf. Chinese; English is well on its way). After that, the cycle can start
> all over again, but I don't think it already happened anywhere.]

Pat comments:

This is a very eloquent statement of what I believe to have been the process
involved from the "first" language to modern day circumstances.

What I do think is an interesting question is why some speakers seem to be
moving from an inflecting to an isolating language while others are not (or
very slowly).

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)