AS Conquest

Ray Hendon rayhendon at satx.rr.com
Sat Dec 9 14:08:13 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "David L. White" <dlwhite at texas.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 9:41 AM

>> To me these suppositions and inferences point to the Celts being either
>> killed or completely displaced by the invaders.  But I am open to other
>> possibilities.

>         Good, because the linguistic evidence (I am getting rater tired of
> trying to reach an unequivocal conclusion from the non-linguistic evidence)
> indicates that there must have been considerable Brittonic survival.

I think you are correct in pointing out that England was not monolithic, and
that some of the invading forces from the Continent did take local wives.
It would be hard to imagine otherwise.  But, I can't see how this was the
predominant mode of family-creation during the invasion.  If it were,
wouldn't we expect a more pronounced influence of Celt on English?  But, I
can see that things during that period do not lead to sweeping
generalizations.  As you point out, there can be no unequivocal conclusions.

Ray Hendon
San Antonio, TX