NW vs. E Gmc

CONNOLLY at LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU CONNOLLY at LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU
Wed Feb 2 20:18:33 UTC 2000

Since Sean Crist was quoting me, perhaps I had better clarify.  In (at least)
German and Dutch, the meanings which once required passsive morphology with
_heissen/heten_ no longer do.  Thus we find

Er hat Meyer geheissen.  'His name was Meyer.'  (Active, or rather, unspecified
morphology; clearly intransitive.  Patient ["theme"] "Case Frame", to use a
useful expression from Case Grammar.)

Er hat mich einen Dummkopf geheissen.  'He called me an idiot.'  (Same
morphology, transitive construction because of the Agent-Patient "case Frame".)

>> It's true that an old passive form is fossilized here, but the speakers of
>> OE and OHG almost certainly considered this word to be a separate lexical
>> item in its own right.  A similar case: most speakers of modern English
>> probably consider "forlorn" a separate lexical item and are completely
>> unaware that the word contains a fossilized old past participle of "lose".

One could also cite _born_, kept distince even in spelling from _borne_, the
normal participle of _bear_.

Leo Connolly

Leo A. Connolly                         Foreign Languages & Literatures
connolly at memphis.edu                    University of Memphis