Archaeologists

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 03:30:23 UTC 2000

I wrote:
<<I can't believe that linguistics and archaeology can not take different
paths but ultimately end up at the same destination. >>

In a message dated 2/4/00 7:48:48 AM, JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

<<-- we're not talking about linguistics and archaeology; it's linguistics and
one small group of archaeologists.>>

It's not a small group, sir.  And it's not one with small influence.

But certainly it is a group that might offer some open minds, if anyone were
looking for such an odd quality in a scholar.  ;)

Regards,
Steve Long

The Tyranny of Paradigms: An Americanist's Participant Observation of
Archaeological Practice, Methods and Theory in Europe.

By
Maximilian O. Baldia
Institute for the Study of Earth and Man
Heroy Science Hall
Southern Methodist University
3225 Daniel Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75275-0274
USA.

mobaldia at earthlink.net
As an American trained archaeologist, dealing largely with Northern European
archaeology, one is enabled to perceive the diverse paradigms that guide
European archaeologists from various countries in the analysis of a single
North European archaeological culture. This involuntary participant
observation provides amazing insights into what is and is not considered
archaeological fact. Examples are provided that show the weight that diverse
paradigms bring to bear on chronology, explanations of culture change, and
even the measurement and reconstruction of archaeological monuments from what
may or may not be a single archaeological culture.