*hwergh-, *hwerg- or *hwerk-?

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Tue Feb 22 17:35:51 UTC 2000

Dear Steve and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: <X99Lynx at aol.com>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 4:51 AM

[ moderator snip ]

> Let me ask, does evidence of (*hwergh-, *hwerg- or *hwerk-?) appear in any
> other IE languages?

[ moderator snip ]

<PR>
Surely you are familiar with IE *wer-g-, 'turn', a stem based on Pokorny's
3. *wer-, 'turn, bend'.

It is surely highly unlikely that *hwerg- is not related to it in some way.

I would segment it *H-wer-g-.

What might the source of this prefix be? I have made an attempt to address
that question in

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/ProtoLanguage-IE-PrefixPlurals.htm

I would be glad for any critique of the ideas expressed in it.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)