the Wheel and Dating PIE

Stefan Georg georg at rullet.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Jan 27 08:30:26 UTC 2000

>Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de (Hans Holm) wrote:

>>S>"What if all the IE words like *kwekwlo- or *rotHo- , and Gr. trochos
>>S>are older than the wheel/chariot/wagon,
>>..
>>of cause the word is older: cf hebrew golgatha< gol-gol-tha 'place of
>>scull', where the scull is named after its rounded form, or cf. the
>>Ngoro-ngoro-crater in eastern Africa, where of cause n- is the Swaheli
>>class-prefix, and again we get the word for 'circle' < 'round-round'.

>>But: the use for wheel seems to be specific IE.

>Not really.  Gamqrelidze and Ivanov quote Sumerian gigir, Hebrew
>gilga:l, galgal, Georgian borbal, gorgal, "wheel" or "chariot".

And there's Sino-Tibetan *golo.

Dr. Stefan Georg
home:
Heerstrasse 7
D-53111 Bonn
FRG
+49-228-691332+
Georg at home.ivm.de

work:
http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/vtw/Georg/Georg.html

[ Moderator's comment:
  We could certainly magnify the list of coincidences as is common sport on
  the sci.lang newsgroup, but I think the point is made.  Those who wish to
  pursue the real possibilities of long-range comparisons should move the
  discussion to the Nostratic list.
  --rma ]