the Wheel and Dating PIE

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 09:38:22 UTC 2000

>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>Even I know that if "the language has changed" and is no longer PIE, the
>SPECIFIC sound changes in *kwelo, etc., may not have happened until later.
>Those changes may NOT be the ones that defined "PIE (linguistic) breakup."

-- those changes were not confined to those words, of course.

Eg., the PIE *k ==> Germanic 'h' transition is characteristic.  Hence *kmtom
(100) ==> hundrad (100), or many other transitions of this kind.

>What ARE the SPECIFIC SOUND changes identified in early 'wheel' words and
>what suggests that they are even exceptionally early?  I would value
anything you >might offer regarding this.

-- PIE *kwekwlom (pl. kwekwleha) -- wheel

>From which:

Old English:  hweogol (note characteristic Germanic *k ==> h)
Sanskrit:       cakra
Greek:          kuklo
Tocharian:     kukal  ('wagon')
etc.

PIE *hwergh -- wheel

Hittite:         hurki
Tocharian:    yerkwanto

PIE *dhroghos -- wheel

Old Irish:   droch
Armenian: durgn
Greek:  (I forget, but something similar)

PIE *rotho -- wheel

Old Irish:  roth
Latin:       rota
OHG:       rad
Lith.         ratas
Albanian:  rreth
Avestan:   ratha (chariot)
Sanskrit:   ratha (chariot)

Plus, of course, PIE *ueghnos, 'wagon', *uoghos, 'wagon' and the related
*ueghitlom, 'vehicle', which produce:

Old Irish:       fen
Welsh:          gwain
Tocharian      wkam
Mycenaean:  wokas (chariot, from a related form *uoghos)
OHG:           wagan
Latin:           vehiculum
Sanskrit       vahitram