IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Wed Mar 1 14:56:29 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <X99Lynx at aol.com>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2000 5:47 AM

> In a message dated 2/27/2000 11:16:35 PM, edsel at glo.be wrote (re English
> syntax):

>> E.g. What would you
>> think of a sentence like *"I said clearly that "modern Afrikaans many of the
>> characteristics has of a creole"*...?

> Pennsylvania Dutch.

> Regards,
> Steve Long

[Ed]

No wonder: 1) Penn Dutch is actually Penn Deutsch (German); 2) The syntax of
(High) German and Dutch (and Low German) is 99% the same; the only big
grammatical difference is the almost complete loss of noun flection in Dutch
and Low German; 3) In Pennsylvania this sentence reflects both Dutch and German
syntax transposed into English.

Ed.