About forcing a language on someone

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Mon Mar 13 08:51:40 UTC 2000

JoatSimeon at aol.com writes:

> In the age of 'globalization', even French or German are "small" languages,
> of declining usefulness.  A fifth of the entire human race can speak English,
> and the percentage increases rapidly.  Meanwhile half the languages spoken in
> 1900 AD are extinct, and half the languages spoken in 2000 AD are moribund
> (no longer learned by children).  This is all to the good.

"All to the good"??  I think this is very much a minority opinion
among linguists and those interested in languages and what they tell
us about Homo sapiens.  In any event, the whole issue is very much
off the topic of Indo-European, and I think that our very tolerant
moderator ought to ask that it be dropped.

Jim Rader