Basque <(h)anka>

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Thu Mar 16 13:31:22 UTC 2000

At 23:20 9/03/00 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 3/9/2000 10:04:12 PM, edsel at glo.be wrote:

>>Persian craftsmen, architects etc. played an important role in what is now
>>perceived as expressions of 'Arab' or Muslim material culture. The most
>>likely place to find these people during the Middle Ages would be the Arab
>>occupied part of Spain, and nowhere else.

>Just a note.  In Faust's Metropolis, the author mentions the find of over
>1000 Arab coins in the old Slavic Wendish town under Berlin (the dates would
>be around 900AD I think.)  Though this doesn't necessarily prove the presence
>of tradespeople, it does prove the presence of trade.  And one might follow
>the other, if not in form of architects, then in the perhaps in the form of
>shoemakers.

>Regards,
>Steve Long

[Ed]
This is very remarkable to say the least.  Maybe these coins were obtained
somehow (trade, battles?) from neighboring Slavs in contact/conflict  with
non-Arab Islamic neighbors like the Turks e.g.? Almost anything is
possible, but Persian craftsmen usually stayed within the Islamic world.

Ed. .Selleslagh

Dr. Ir. Eduard Selleslagh (in Spain)
E-03189	Orihuela-Costa (Alicante)
España