Reference on Numbers of Saxons

Tristan Jones Tristan at mail.scm-rpg.com.au
Thu Nov 30 06:33:31 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <JoatSimeon at aol.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 6:14 PM

> On the continent, Germanic migrants into the Roman provinces were generally
> linguistically assimilated within a few generations -- beyond some loanwords,
> little trace of Gothic remains in Iberian Romance, for instance.  In fact, it
> was probably extinct or moribund by the time of the 8th-century Muslim
> invasions.  It lasted much better in the Crimea!

> In Britain not only did the local Celtic and Romance speeches disappear,
> but the Anglo-Saxon that emerged after the conversion to Christianity was
> singularly lacking in both Romance and Celtic vocabulary.  About 14 Celtic
> loan-words in all, and no more Latin loans than the continental Germanic
> of the period.

I have to agree with him, Genetic edviance tells us the English in the
eastern part of England and Lowland Scotland are more related to Danes than
they are to Welsh in Wales, West Country and other small bits of western
England. I take caution since the genetic edviance might be showing an very
anicent pattern where people in Western Fringe of Britain have migrated from
Altanic coasts of France, Spain and Portgual and people in Eastern part of
Britain have come across the North Sea from nearby Low Countries, Northern
France, Germany and Denmark, which had been going in small and big waves for
thousands of years.

The Romano-British influence was pretty non-existant language wise, I do not
a lot about how they affected Anglo-Saxon culture. There must have been a
massive decrease in population of Romano-British from various causes in
England and a large mirgation of Germanic people from across the North Sea.
In the 6th century there was a massive Bubonic plague from mediterrean that
just affected the Romano-British and spared the Anglo-Saxons, there is
something to investgate.

A good thing is to compaire how English replaced Latin and Welsh in England,
againist Turkish replacing the languages Antaolia, Hungarian replacing the
languages that were once in realm of what is now Hungry and Indo-Aryan
languages replacing the Dravidan and Austro-Asiatic languages being spoken
in Northern India around 1500BC. How much of pervious languages were
preserved in new arriving language. I doubt those languages preserved as
little of pervious languages than Old English did.