"Guadalupe"

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Thu Apr 5 04:31:34 UTC 2001

At 09:26 29/03/01 -0500, you wrote:
>	Mozarabic, said to be from (seomthing like) Arabic wadi "valley" +
>Mozarabic lup, lupe < Latin lupus
>	Medina, of course, is Arabic for "town"
>	BTW: Don't forget Austin's Colorado River
>	I've also seen Spanish language maps with the Red River as "Ri/o
>Rojo" but I don't know if this was the original form or just a translation
>	Which begs another question:
>Spanish rojo vs, colorado for "red"
>	Why are some things <rojo> and other things <colorado>?
>	A chile is <rojo> if it's matured to that point. But a <chile
>colorado> is a specific type of chile. Which suggests that --at some
>level-- rojo is for anything that happens to be "red" but colorado for
>something that is "naturally red." But this isn't always the case. Any
>ideas?

>Rick Mc Callister

[Ed Selleslagh]
You might add that red wine is 'vino tinto', which makes this matter even
more curious.
BTW, your theory seems to be confirmed by a translation I saw in Perú: the
city of Pucallpa (on the Ucayali River) has a Quechua name (given by
missionaries, because the local native language is Chiama, an Amazonian
lg.) : Puka Allpa, translated as 'Tierra Colorada', not 'Tierra Roja' (Puka
= red, Allpa = earth, soil, ground).

Ed.