American River Names

Dr. John E. McLaughlin mclasutt at brigham.net
Tue Apr 3 15:13:03 UTC 2001

As an Americanist, I'd better put in my 2 cents.  The Gulf Coast of the SE
U.S. was one of the most densely populated regions of North America
aboriginally, even more than California's central valley.  It was also quite
diverse linguistically, including known (and almost all unrelated) languages
such as Coahuilteco, Cotoname, Comecrudo, Karankawa, Tonkawa, Western
Atakapa, Eastern Atakapa, Caddo, Adai, Tunica, Natchez, and Chitimacha west
of the Mississippi Delta down to just beyond the mouth of the Rio Grande
(there are a couple others around the mouth of the Rio Grande, but I can't
remember them right now).  No one can tell how many other languages may have
been there, but were unrecorded before becoming extinct.  Unfortunately,
this area was also one of the first regions entered by Spanish and French
explorers carrying measles and smallpox along with them.  There was a
serious amount of depopulation surrounding this, but just as serious was the
Spanish attitude toward Indians in general during the 17th and 18th
centuries.  The Indians of this region were considered pagans, so that their
languages were heathen by nature.  There was some attempt among the Spanish
to write catechisms in the languages (thus our only records of Coahuilteco,
Cotoname, Comecrudo, and Aranama), but the attempt was piecemeal and most of
these languages went without any records whatsoever before the languages
were extinct due to disease, slavery, and the forced assimilation to
Spanish.  The languages of almost the entire northeastern quadrant of Mexico
are virtually unknown to us and are long extinct.  In this environment, I
think it's more of a question of conquerors' attitudes, technological
superiority, and speed of conquest, than of any population density issue.
Indians were generally destroyed rather than conquered in these areas.
This, combined with the prevaling religious attitudes, meant that native
names were not preserved along the Texas and Louisiana coastlines.  In West
Texas, to the contrary, the population density was always tiny, yet there
are no fewer Comanche names in that area than there are native names along
the Gulf Coast.  But overall, the native names throughout Texas (indeed,
throughout the United States) are not the names that the Natives applied to
a particular place (as, for example, "Danube" is the name the locals called
the river and later waves of people just kept calling it that), but Indian
words or names that whites thought were cool and applied to a new place
(e.g., "Quanah" and "Nocona", town names in northwest Texas that are not
Native place names, but Comanche names applied to white towns, in this case,
the names of "Quanah Parker" and his father "Peta Nocona", famous Comanche
war chiefs).  Here in Utah, there are only a handful of Native place names
that are actually pre-White retentions, and these are all in regions where
the Spanish were at the outer limits of their reach at the northern end of
the Old Spanish Trail in central and eastern Utah.  However, these names are
all mountain ranges and not rivers (Wahsatch, Oquirrh, Uintah, Mt.
Timpanogos).  The rivers all bear European names (Green, Colorado,
Duschesne, Strawberry, Jordan, Spanish Fork, Weber, Provo, Bear, etc.).

John E. McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, English
Utah State University

Program Director