Italian as a "Pure" Language

Thomas McFadden tmcfadde at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:27:48 UTC 2001

A standard example of dialect mixture in English is the short list of
words with initial v proper to southern dialects instead of the f
expected in the standard language, e.g. vixen (cf. fox) and
vat (cf. NHG fass).  Of course in these examples both spelling and
pronunciation are from the same dialect, so they don't cause the
orthographical complications you're talking about, but one could imagine a
similar situation where the standard language would keep one spelling
while taking over a different pronunciation.  Something like this
apparently happened with 'colonel', but here we aren't talking about forms
from different dialects of English, rather borrowings from different
romance dialects (or so I've heard).