Soap

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Sun Apr 8 04:42:00 UTC 2001

Dear Ernest and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Ernest P. Moyer" <epmoyer at netrax.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 4:23 AM

> I have a question:

> Has anyone on this list studied the works of Saul Levin, "The Indo-European
> and Semitic Languages?"  And so on.

> He made many astute observations.

> "The phonetic and morphological resemblances of H to G(reek) or S(anskrit)
> make H an aberrant Semitic language."

> "Knowing all too well the fascination that pre-history holds out to us, I
> have hitherto declined to draw from the correspondences between H and G and S
> any genetic inferences beyond the inescapable one that such correspondences
> could not have originated independently and without contact."

> In speaking of the remoteness of Arabic from IE connections, he remarks:

> "Arabic therefore affords little basis for a convincing comparison with the
> IE languages."

> And so on.

[PR]
Well, I have just completed another 30 pages or so of comments on Bomhard's
Nostratic dictionary at

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/NostraticDictionary.htm

that show clearly that Arabic consonantal roots and IE roots can be
systematically related through regular correspondences.

Perhaps Levin should read that.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ec
at ec hecc, vindgá meiði a netr allar nío, geiri vndaþr . . . a þeim
meiþi, er mangi veit, hvers hann af rótom renn." (Hávamál 138)