Three-Way Contrast of Secondary Articulations in PIE

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 21 08:11:56 UTC 2001

>Old Indian ... *[a], [e], and [o] all became [a]. Obviously, this entailed a
>substantial loss of semantic integrity [in] ...... original CaC, CeC, and CoC
>roots

Trouble is, for the stage before Old Indian, CaC roots are very rare, and
CeC ~ CoC roots are morphologically conditioned alternatives.  Some writers
would only accept CeC roots , so for them your argument collapses.

Even if we do accept Cac, Cec and CoC roots, we have to admit the
distribution of them in PIE is far from equal, and so the likelihood of
ambiguity is small.   This would not be "a substantial loss of semantic
integrity".

Peter