Greek from PIE

Shilpi Misty Bhadra evenstar at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 25 13:51:18 UTC 2001

At 06:10 PM 4/20/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Does anyone know a good book describing in detail the development of Greek
>from PIE?

>For the later Greek period I have Geoffrey Horrocks' book, and for Latin I
>know Baldi's book and Meiser's, but I don't know of anything similar for PIE
>to Greek.   Any helpers?

>Peter

Dear Peter,
	Have you looked at the following:
1) Andrew Sihler - New Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin (1995)
2) Carl Darling Buck - Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin (1933)
3) HelmutRix -  Historische Grammatik des Griechischen (1976). Buck does
not include treatment of laryngeals, but Sihler and Rix do.

Shilpi Misty Bhadra
University of Texas at Austin
Ancient History, Classics, and Humanities (focus: Indo-European Studies)
senior undergraduate
evenstar at mail.utexas.edu
512-320-0229 (ph)
512-476-3367 (fax)