Lions and Tiger and Bears, Oh My

Geoffrey Summers summers at metu.edu.tr
Mon Apr 30 11:42:14 UTC 2001

David L. White wrote:

[ moderator snip ]

>         Just a brief note:  Ancient Anatolia had not only lions, but tigers
> (in the eastern part), and leopards.  (Not to mention the usual bears, and
> wolves).  Yet it seems that the scariest animals the IEs knew were bears and
> wolves.  But of course tabu deformation may be relevant in all this.

> Dr. David L. White

In the Hittite Empire period at Hattusa we have the magnificent
sculptures of the Lion Gate, and at Yazilikaya the goddess Arinna stands
on a panther (or female lion?). The entrance to Chamber B at Yazilikaya
is protected by two demon bears carved in low relief, but they pale in
comparison with the power of the Lion Gate.

Best,

Geoff

--
Geoffrey SUMMERS
Dept. of Political Science & Public Administration,

Office Tel: (90) 312 210 2045
Home Tel/Fax: (90) 312 210 1485
The Kerkenes Project Tel: (90) 312 210 6216
http://www.metu.edu.tr/home/wwwkerk/