thy thigh etc.

Leo A. Connolly connolly at memphis.edu
Fri Jun 1 15:54:29 UTC 2001

Eduard Selleslagh wrote:

> [...]

Oh, indeed they are foreign.  It's only in Schwyzer Düütsch that we find
initial [x] in native words, and no variety has initial [ç] in them.
But that's beside the point.  If Duden's pronunciations are factually
correct -- a rather large assumption -- then [x] and [ç] do contrast in
initial position and must therefore be assigned to different phonemes.
Unless we want to say that foreign words *as foreign* have a different
set of phonemes than native ones, quod Deus avertat. -- I would note,
BTW, that Swiss German lacks [ç] completely, so that whatever analysis
of standard German proves correct, Swiss has only one phoneme, viz. /x/.

Leo Connolly