Armenian loan words in Greek

Marc Pierce karhu at umich.edu
Wed Mar 14 22:11:53 UTC 2001

Hi,

In his "Grammatik des Klassischen-Armenischen," Schmitt suggests that
evidence for vowel epenthesis in Classical Armenian can also be found in
the adaption of Armenian names into foreign languages (Greek is the only
one he names).  I have as yet been unable to track down any references on
this topic.  Is anyone aware of any such studies?  I do have Clackson's
'Linguistic Relationship between Armenian and Greek," but it seems to
focus on shared correspondences rather than loan words.

Any assistance I could receive would be greatly appreciated.

Marc Pierce
University of Michigan