IE versus *PIE

Robert Orr colkitto at sprint.ca
Sat May 12 18:51:27 UTC 2001

[ moderator edited ]

I think part of the problem is that family tree diagrams tend to be
oversimplified.  A close reading of the relevant passages of Dixon's book
shows that he seems to arguing for some sort of recognition  that family
tree diagrams should be far more complex than normally presented.

One analogy that we should consider is bushes which can sprout branches
which later can fuse again, or can fuse with branches from other bushes.  Of
course, it may be impossible to reduce such complexity to a page, and
linguists may have to discuss family trees in the same way that
cartographers discuss Mercator's Projection (even Peter's may not entirely
free of such problems.)

Robert Orr