<Language> [Fwd: [Fwd: MONTY HALL GAME ODDS....]]

H. Mark Hubey HubeyH at mail.montclair.edu
Thu Mar 25 02:50:10 UTC 1999

<><><><><><><><><><><><>--This is the Language List--<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Just in case, someone brings up this Monty Hall problem
again, here is the solution. We might even discuss
Bayes Theorem (formula). Some philosophers are Bayesians
and reason using probability theory instead of logic. So
the usage of this formula is very important.

Disclaimer: I hope the solution is correct :-)

> From: Ben Bullock <ben at hayamasa.demon.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: sci.stat.math

> I've corrected this solution to the Monty Hall problem.
>
> I do believe that this solution is correct.
>
> This solution is partly based, by the way, on one found in a book
> called `Understanding Statistics' by Upton and Cook, which is a book
> for teaching A-level statistics published by Oxford University Press.
>
> The `Monty Hall' problem
> ========================
>
> In a certain game show, behind one of three doors 1, 2 and 3 is a
> valuable prize.  A contestant must pick one door to open.  Only if he
> picks the right door will he win the prize.  The contestant picks one
> door.  The host then opens one of the two doors which the contestant
> didn't pick, and shows the contestant that there is no prize behind
> it.  He then asks the contestant if he would like to switch to the
> remaining, unopened, door, instead of the one he first picked.  What
> should the contestant do?
>
> The paradox
> ===========
>
> Argument 1 (`no point switching') runs as follows:
>
> ``If the prize was equally likely to be behind any of the doors, then
> opening one of the wrong doors only shows the contestant that the
> prize is not behind that door.  Therefore it is equally likely to be
> behind either of the other doors.''
>
> Argument 2 (`always switch') runs as follows:
>
> ``Two out of three times the contestant picks the wrong door.  In
> those cases, the host will show him the other wrong door.  If the
> contestant always switches to the other unopened door, he will be
> switching away from an empty door to the prize door 2 out of 3 times.
> If he doesn't switch, he will loose 2 out of 3 times.  So he will have
> better odds of winning if he always switches''.
>
> Which of these arguments is right?
>
> The solution
> ============
>
> Neither of the above two arguments is exactly wrong or exactly right.
> Both of them contain a hidden assumption about what the host will do.
> (This is a good counterexample which shows the danger of `hand waving'
> arguments such as the above two).  To correctly understand this
> problem it is necessary to use Bayes' theorem.
>
> Suppose that the contestant chooses door 3 initially, and that the
> host opens door 2 (in any other case the result is the same, just by
> relabelling doors).  The chance of the prize being behind door 3,
> given that the host opened door 2, is, by Bayes theorem,
>
>                 P(O2|P3) P(P3)
>      P(P3|O2) = --------------
>                     P(O2)
>
>                               P(O2|P3) P(P3)
>               = ------------------------------------------------         (1)
>                 P(O2|P1) P(P1) + P(O2|P2) P(P2) + P(O2|P3) P(P3)
>
> where the events are
>
>         O2: host opens door two,
>         P1: prize is behind door 1,
>         P2: prize is behind door 2,
>         P3: prize is behind door 3.

> [...]
Copyrights and "Fair Use":     http://www.templetions.com/brad//copyright.html
"This means that if you are doing things like comment on a copyrighted work, making fun of it,
teaching about it or researching it, you can make some limited use of the work without permission.
For example you can quote excerpts to show how poor the writing quality is. You can teach a
course about T.S. Eliot and quote lines from his poems to the class to do so. Some people think
fair use is a wholesale licence to copy if you don't charge or if you are in  education, and it isn't.
If you want to republish other stuff without permission and think you have  a fair use defence, you
should read the more detailed discussions of the subject you will find through the links above."