[Lexicog] Theoretical constructs vs. practical reference dictionaries

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 10 23:39:10 UTC 2004

Re: Grammatical info in the Hopi Dictionary

I am not prepared to write a paper on this, but here are a few examples:

The "elsewhere" case for predicate pluralization is the suffix -ya. But in
the listing of verbs, we cite the plural suffix whatever it may be.

There is an adjectival class in which the nominative is in -y(o-) and the
accusative is in -kw (or -ko-), plus elaborations. This pattern is easlily
explained in the grammar, but because the items involved are few, we
didn't bother suppressing the grammatical information at the specific
entries.