[Lexicog] Korean and Toolbox

Kenneth Keyes ken_keyes at SIL.ORG
Sun Feb 15 14:11:18 UTC 2004

Dear Benjamin,

You probably need to download the Korean IME from Microsoft if you are
running Windows 98. If you are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, then you
need to install Far Eastern language capability in the following path:
control panel/regional and language options/languages/ then check "install
files for East Asian languages." XP will install the needed capabilities
from CAB files on your hard drive.

You can get Korean to work with Toolbox using the Microsoft IME for Korean
in Windows XP using English. Additionally, you cannot use any of the Chinese
IMEs in Toolbox at all. However, the Korean characters appear to oriented
sideways...this is a bug which I reported to the developer of Toolbox
several months ago, but apparently, other bugs were more pressing. Maybe it
will get some attention sometime this year.

Ken Keyes

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Barrett [mailto:bjb5 at u.washington.edu]
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 11:06 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Lexicog] Korean and Toolbox

Has anyone had luck getting Korean to work in Toolbox (or even Shoebox)?

I downloaded Toolbox and discovered I needed Keyman. But it appears there is
no Korean keyboard for Keyman out there.

To confuse the issue further, under the Keyman Configuration screen, Korean
is listed as having an IME keyboard with a note below saying, "You cannot
associate a Keyman keyboard with this layout because it is an IME".

The Keyman site has a Chinese keyboard, so I don't understand what all this
means.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Best regards
Benjamin Barrett