[Lexicog] semantic domains AND frames?

Wayne Leman lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 15 15:27:15 UTC 2004

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moe" <ron_moe at s...>
wrote:
The subcategorization of fauna (and flora) reflect some universal
tendencies
and some language specific variation. (Sound familiar?) For instance
most
languages have a category corresponding to the English
category 'bird'. Its
membership varies depending on whether the domain is defined
as 'flying
animal' in which case it will include bats and possibly some insects,
or as
'feathered animal' in which case bats and insects will be excludes
but an
ostrich and penguin will be included. The same is true of the category
'fish', which can be defined as 'water dweller' and include dolphins,
shrimp, and clams, or as 'animals with fins and scales'. Animals are
also
subject to other classification dimensions such as 'edible'
vs. 'inedible',
'domesticated' vs. 'wild', 'carnivore' vs. 'herbivore', etc. The
English
biological classification differs from the folk classification. These
dimensions are not organized in binary hierarchy. Each dimension can
cut
across the others. When it comes to a practical methodology, first
elicit
all the super category terms and then find out what particular animals
belong to each. In English 'dog' belongs
to 'Animal' 'Mammal' 'Domesticated
animal' 'Pet' 'Carnivore' and 'Inedible animal'. Other languages may
put
'dog' under 'Wild animal' or 'Edible animal'. To each his own.

Ron Moe