[Lexicog] Re: Citation forms in Prefixing Languages

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Tue Jan 20 17:35:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Wayne Leman wrote:
> Not at all, John. You were hitting the proverbial nail on the head.
> And I was trying to indicate that it is an area the sorely (!) needs
> attention for those dictionaries which are intended to be user-
> friendly to the speakers of those languages.

I wondered if you had made some kind of a statement that abstracted stems
might be the way to go in Algonquian contexts.  I know that's a sore
temptation there, and I have a vague perception that some very careful
choices have to be made in selecting citation forms for Algonquian, from
noticing Rhodes' practice in his Odawa dictionary.  I suspect some of the
subtleties pass me by.

Allan Taylor expatiated some on this subject to me as I was helping with
the computer side of his Gros Ventre (White Clay People) dictionary - how
it might be easier to see the form of the stem if it were presented in an
underlying form with no inflectional affixes, but how, equally, this
presented almost insuperable problems for non-technical users.

kkk

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM