[Lexicog] When is an "in" word """in"""?

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Jul 27 20:03:07 UTC 2004

Shore, why not? Maybe "manguage" will make it into the dictionary.
But then someone else comes along and uses the word in the sense
of "human language." As a protest sooner or later others will insist on
"humanguage" or "peopleguage." Imagine the ramifications!

Fritz Goerling

Mike Maxwell wrote:

  OTOH, I am a linguist, so I actually have a license to speak manguage.
  (= mangled language, a la Humpty Dumpty)

    a..

---