[Lexicog] Shoebox problem: I need a parsing database

Susan Gehr vurayav at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 28 21:07:48 UTC 2004

That almost worked.

Here's what I did to the -ara record:

\lx -ara
\a -hara
\a -kara
\u k+ara

But I didn't get pu'- ípak -ara as an option, only

pu- ípa -kara
pu- íp -kara
pu- ípa -ara
pu- ip -ara

until I changed the ípak record by adding an alternate form:

\lx ípak
\a ípa

but if I recall from your excellent class that stems shouldn't have a bunch
of alternate forms, they should go on the prefixes & suffixes.

Would that be ok, or is there another option?  I'll try Steve's idea too.

Thanks for all the quick help! It's nice to have this resource.

Susan Gehr

>Dear Susan,
>in the -ara record,
>add \a -kara
>with \u k+ara
>This should give you a choice between -ara and -kara as a suffix.
>The plus sign says that the k is part of the preceding morpheme and will
>put it back before Shoebox searches for that morpheme.
>Neal
>

>              "Susan Gehr"
>              <vurayav at hotmail.
>              com>                                                       To
>                                        lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
>              28/07/2004 16:39                                           cc
>
>                                                                    Subject
>              Please respond to         [Lexicog]  Shoebox problem:  I need
>              lexicographylist@         a parsing database
>               yahoogroups.com
>

>I'm having a parsing problem that I think a parsing database will solve,
>but
>I'm having trouble setting up the parsing database.  Here's an example of
>the problem.
>
>\t chavúra pu'ípakara.
>\e She never came back.
>
>\t chavúra pu'ípakara.
>\m chavúra
>\g finally
>\p ADV
>
>Here's how  pu'ípakara should parse:
>
>pu'-     ípak             -ara
>NEG    come_back   NEG
>
>But that is never offered to me as an option, only
>
>pu'-     ípa     -kara
>or
>pu'     íp     -kara
>
>which are possible but incorrect parses.
>
>I've got a second database of the same type as my main lexicon, but I don't
>
>know how to set up a record that will force a correct parse.
>
>Can someone help me?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Susan Gehr
>Karuk Tribe of California
>Language Program Director

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to ‘Dig Yourself Out of Debt’ from MSN
Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM