[Lexicog] DDE: Dictionary Database Editor

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Fri Mar 19 14:26:42 UTC 2004

Wayne, I think ideally what a language team gets presented to them each time
they turn on the computer to work on entering or editing data for a
dictionary should be tailored just for their needs. For example, we included
etymologies in our dictionary, so there was a place to enter etymological
information for each entry. That wouldn't be appropriate for many others
working on a dictionary -- and especially the default value for the
etymological source being French.

Adapting my Dictionary Database Editor for another specific language
wouldn't be too difficult. I could change some of the labels and default
values. What I am not prepared to do is make it so that anyone could adapt
it for their purpose. It is not that I am being parochial, but creating a
program that is adaptable to all kinds of circumstances is beyond my
expertise, and since computer programming is not part of my job description,
I figure I had better stick with linguistics.

SIL has a wealth of computer expertise, but I don't think SIL wants to
invest in yet another dictionary software product. I can understand that, so
my emphasis has rather been on sharing my ideas on how a dictionary program
ought to be designed. I have been doing that for several years now, as I
have had occasion. So far I don't think I have had much of an impact.

To answer your question about sorting, I think I will start a  new message,
and maybe another one yet to talk some more about my ideas of elegant
design.

-- David Frank

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM