encodings (was Re: [Lexicog] sounds animals make)

Martin Hosken martin_hosken at SIL.ORG
Wed May 26 06:40:54 UTC 2004

Dear Hayim,

> I saw your message on lexicography list. I have some difficulties to
> find possibility for making certain phonetic symbols like those
> which require a dot under the character, particularly a dot under letters
> h, s, t for heth, sade, and teth in Hebrew and similar sounds in other
> Semitic languages and little arc under h for the sound which some time
> transcribed as kh, like in Arabic khinzîr (‘pig’). I have Unicode based
> Windows and Word. Can you help me.

Unicode is a storage encoding and as a result it is possible to store an
under dot underneath any character by storing the character followed by
U+0323. There are a number of what are called: presentation forms, where
a single code represents a sequence. Thus:

U+1E25 LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH DOT BELOW

is declared as being directly equivalent to the sequence:

U+0068 LATIN SMALL LETTER H
U+0323 COMBINING DOT BELOW

So, if there is a combination that you cannot find a presentation form
for in Unicode, then you can simply use the sequence. But this presumes
a font and applications that can display your sequence appropriately.

SIL has just published a free font that handles all of the Roman script
as encoded in Unicode, including sequences, and a few more beside. It is
available from:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=DoulosSILfont

You will need appropriate applications to make use of the font.
Microsoft Word 2003 is one such application (and any later version). See
the included documentation with the font, for details.

Yours,
Martin Hosken

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM