[Lexicog] That's Greek to me ...

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Sep 10 11:07:50 UTC 2004

Do you have other examples in your language and at least one other language
where a certain behavior is attributed cross-culturally in a different way?
Or how do you say some of the expressions below, e.g. "that's Greek to me"?

"to take French leave" = "to leave the English way" in French (filer à
l'anglaise)
"Dutch comfort" = "German happiness" in French (le bonheur allemand)
"going Dutch" = "going English or Swiss" in French (faire une anglaise,
suisse)
"proud as a Spaniard" in German (stolz wie ein Spanier) = "proud as a Scot"
in French (fier comme un Écossais)
"to play a Chinese trick" in French (faire une chinoiserie) = "to play a
Basque trick" in Spanish
                                                            = "to pull a
Swabian" in Polish (oszwabic)
"to drink like a Pole" in Dutch and French (boire comme un Polonais) = "to
drink like a Dutchman" in Czech
"That's Greek to me" = "That's Chinese to me" in Russian and Rumanian
                     = "That's Hebrew to me" in French
                     = "That's Spanish to me" in German
                     = "I'm listening to a Turkish sermon" in Polish

Fritz Goerling
---

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM