[Lexicog] RE: Query re keyboard re-mapping

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Sun Sep 19 19:12:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, John Roberts wrote:
> Now there are certain kinds of things that Unicode is not going to
> accept. For example, Unicode is not going to add any more precomposed
> letters that can already be represented by a base character plus one or
> more combining marks. And they are not going to add any more
> presentation formssuch as initial, medial, and final forms of Arabic
> characters. Unicode assumes that modern display engines can handle these
> kinds of things.

I think this has been Unicode policy since the beginning.  The exceptions
are all there due to the compromise that admitted Unicode to ISO standard
status.  However, the assumption that "modern display engines can handle
these kinds of things" has been somewhat weak in my past experience.
What are the usual approaches to this at present?  Is the assumption a
better one now?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM