[Lexicog] Circumfixes

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jul 8 13:24:41 UTC 2005

Andy Black wrote:
> I'm wondering what the standard ways are to show circumfixes in lexical
> entries.
>
> For example, does one create only one entry with the circumfix or does
> one create, say, three entries:
>
>    1. The left member (presumably a prefix)
>    2. The right member (presumably a suffix)
>    3. A combination of the two members.
>
> In the entry for the circumfix, how does one typically indicate its form?
>
> What does one do if either or both members of the circumfix have allomorphy?

A few thoughts on this thread.

1) Affixes in general are often clumsy in dictionaries, and you have to
be a pretty sophisticated user to know enough to look them up among the
words.  I suspect (but don't know) that most English dictionaries have
few if any inflectional affixes listed--I wouldn't imagine -ed, ing, -en
etc. are there; and few  derivational affixes, with the possible
exception of the most common ones (un- and re-, for example).

A perhaps better way of handling affixes in dictionaries is to include
them in a small grammar sketch.

IIRC, Bartholemew and Schoenhal's book on dictionary making talks about
this question of putting affixes in the alphabetic part of the dictionary.

2) Some theoretically-minded linguists have claimed that there are no
circumfixes (in Albert Bickford's strict sense; discontinuous morphology
is well attested in the Semitic family, of course).  Anderson has used
the existence of circumfixes to argue for his "amorphous" morphology,
while others have use the extreme rarity of circumfixation to argue
against his theory.

Circumfixes are briefly discussed on pg. 62 and 129 of The Handbook of
Morphology, and of course in lots of other places.  The comment by
Robert Beard on pg. 62 is worth repeating here:

   Circumfixation...is merely extended exponence involving
   a prefix and a suffix simultaneously.

This is a theory-based point, to some extent; Beard works in a version
of Realizational Morphology.  Nevertheless, his point pertains to many
of the putative examples of circumfixes, including some brought up in
the course of this thread.  (And other theories of morphology, like
Distributed Morphology, would I believe also re-analyze circumfixation
as the accidental coincidence of meaning of two affixes.)

Rick Nivens brought this issue up in his discussion of infix/suffix
pairs in West Tarangan, where he noted that while you might consider -i-
"3s" and -na "3s.animate" to be such a pair, there is in fact a
difference in what the two affixes mean: the suffix, but not the infix,
signals animacy.  For that reason, the infix may appear where the suffix
does not, making it look very much like two affixes that happen to
partially share meaning, rather than a (in-)circumfix.

Many other examples of circumfixes can be analyzed in the same way, as
being the accidental coincidence of a prefix and a suffix with
overlapping meanings.

There is a good illustration of extended exponence (if not a discussion
about circumfixes), and motivation for an early version of Realizational
Morphology, in

    Matthews, P.H. 1972. Huave Verb Morphology: Some Comments
    from a Non-Tagmemic Viewpoint. International Journal of
    American Linguistics 38:96-118.

3) WRT their canonical representation, Gary Simons and Larry Versaw's
manual for the old IT program talked about how to represent them in
interlinear text.  I don't believe they talked about representing them
in dictionaries.  Unfortunately, I just (reluctantly) threw out my copy
of the IT manual, in preparation for a move...

4) Perhaps the best-known example of a (putative) circumfix is the
German ge...en, as in 'gefunden', the past participle of 'finden' (root
'find').  There's lots to be said about this from a theoretical
standpoint, though, and it too falls into the category of suspect cases
for being a genuine circumfix.

5) It may be that Semitic-style discontinuous morphology (and cases like
German umlauting in plurals, mentioned by Albert) is more common than
circumfixation consisting of a prefix and a suffix having identical
meanings for reasons having to do with the historical origins of these
patterns.  So from a practical standpoint--how (or whether) to represent
discontinuous morphology in dictionaries--the issue remains, regardless
of the theoretical status of "true" circumfixes.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

	"When I get a little money I buy books;
           and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
	--Erasmus