[Lexicog] Hogar

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 6 12:33:50 UTC 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Rudolph C Troike wrote:

In Spanish, the old extended sense of "hearth" as the place the family
> gathers is conveyed by "hogar", which is often used where English would
> now use "home". (Real estate developers have been trying for decades to
> replace "house" with "home", to reduce "home" to just the physical
> building. I'm sure the same is true with "hogar".)

Rudy, I had not realized that there was a connection between "hogar"
and 'fireplace' because few if any homes of Spanish speakers have them
anymore (at least where I have been). But there are also words like
"fogata", which is a large, organized campfire at, say, a church
retreat, "fogon", which is a cooking fire, "hoguera", a bonfire, etc.

However, I have not yet seen "hogar" used interchangeably with "casa"
'house'. "Hogar" evokes feelings of family life and unity. "Casa" can
express those feelings, too, but "hogar" is not used of the structure
people live in.

-Chaz Mortensen

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM