[Lexicog] Reverse dictionary online?

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jun 21 00:32:14 UTC 2005

Wanting to check on the occurrence of a couple of derivational suffixes
in English, I tried looking online for a dictionary which might
alphabetize words in reverse order, beginning with the last letter, but
the only one I could find, the Ruecklaeufiges Woerterbuch des Englischen,
did not respond. I found several other calling themselves "reverse
dictionaries", which allowed searching on the terms in the definition in
order to retrieve the word (certainly useful for those moments when we
can't recall words but know the meaning), one at <http://www.onelook.com>
and one at <http://www.wordtree.com>. I didn't try the latter, but the
former did allow using a wildcard notation, e.g. *ity, but curiously
listed the words alphabetically from the beginning. It also limited the
search to 1000 words, but I discovered that there are at least around
1,400 words in English which end in this suffix. (Maybe Fritz can figure
out why the German site wasn't responding -- the "ae" and "oe" above
should be umlauted, but I can't do that in Pine.)

	Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a functioning
reverse-alphabetized dictionary online.

	Thanks,

	Rudy Troike